Monday, July 19, 2010

Taft Law School | Santa Ana California

Taft Law School in Southern CA

Taft Law School Logo
Taft Law School is a freestanding institution as of 2008. It is America's oldest nationally accredited distance learning law school. This has not always been the case however, as the entity formally operated as part of William Howard Taft University. Currently the law school is one of two, private postsecondary educational institutions operating in the Taft University System.

Accreditation

From what I've read, while researching this article, there are a lot questions regarding the creditability of this law school. According to the school's official website (http://www.taftu.edu/TLS/index.htm):
Taft Law School, through The Taft University System, is institutionally accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). On June 7, 2008 the Commission voted to extend its accreditation until 2013. This action was taken after consideration of an extensive self-study prepared by The Taft University System and the report of a site visitation team that included representatives of both regionally and American Bar Association accredited schools. The five-year extension is the maximum permissible under DETC standards.
This is verifiable on the DETC website. I was also able to find a positive quote that comes from a law based forum called LawSchoolDiscussion.org:
Taft graduates are able to take the California Bar, and become fully registered CA attorneys. I'm in my 2nd year at Taft, and it's pretty decent. If you want to become a California attorney, and don't have the time or money for regular law school, it is a good option.

The only drawback is that to become an attorney, California makes you take a "Baby Bar" after the first year. The pass rate is only about 20%. So this is how California weeds out the non-accredited law school students. The "Baby Bar" is a subset of the regular bar, but only covers Torts, Contracts, and Criminal law. If you pass the "Baby Bar" (actual name "FYLSE"), then about 70% of the 4-year graduates ultimately pass the regular bar.

Contact Taft Law School

  • Taft Law School
    3700 South Susan Street, Office 200
    Santa Ana, CA 92704-6954
  • Voice Line: 800-882-4555 | 714-850-4800
  • E-mail: Admissions@TaftU.edu
  • Website: http://www.taftu.edu/TLS/index.htm 
  • Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=51180081657

Driving Directions

The school is conveniently located a couple blocks off of the 405 San Diego Freeway. Look for the IKEA Costa Mesa at the freeway exits. The facility is on South Susan Street, between Harbor Blvd and Fairview Rd.

Some landmarks in the area you might look for are Galaxy Concert Theather and the Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro. Also a few blocks away from Segerstrom High School and Wimbleton Park.

14 comments:

  1. Does anyone know how Taft Law Schoolcompares to the Univ of London,distance education law program?

    Are there any advantages in getting a UOL LLb vs. a Taft Law school online JD?

    Please comment back to me at cf7638@yahoo.com, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taft is indeed a credible distance learning law school. If you have a great memory and can jump through all the hoops, you will get a ticket to the California Bar. Then you have to pass arguably the toughest bar in the country. This is definitely not the easiest or fastest route to a law license - this may be a good choice for very motivated students who live in rural California and cannot attend a bricks and mortar school but everyone else should think twice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reseaeching Taft's distant learning methods and it's ratings amongst other online law schools. is there anyone who can give me feedback regarding wich online school has the best fylse pass rating? I have tried to look on the CA bar website, however to no avail. personally, I am eager to attend law schol, however DE has only one traditional law school with one on the way in 2015 (too long of a wait for me).

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly don't know... I published your comment in hopes that someone can help you! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a 4th year Taft student. I have been satisfied with the program, but it is not for everyone. If you can go to a traditional ABA school, that is preferable. I am an older student with other degrees and my current work takes me out of the country, so Taft was the right choice for me. I passed the FYSLE on my first attempt and will sit for the Cal Bar next year. Taft gives you all the tools you need to succeed, the structure, and sufficient feedback, but the real learning and practice are yours to do. In a DL law program, you have to be extremely motivated and self-disciplined to learn the law and its proper application to the facts - even more so, I think, than in a traditional law school. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate you guys taking time to leave real feedback for future readers! I can only give factual info and things of that nature, but your comments are the info that people need to make an educated decision, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After years of being on-hands with labor relations and possessing an advanced working knowledge of employment laws, I decided to pursue a Doctorate Law degree. I applied to Taft and was accepted. I currenly have my own grant consulting business and I often encounter legal issues, so I decided to apply for the Juris Doctor Executive Program. As I have no desire to practice law, I feel that the degree will compliment my grant business and position me to be more competitive in the grant arena as I must be abreast of the latest real estate laws, contract laws, property laws and employment laws.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard that Taft and many of the online law schools are now facing a law suit to shut them down. Has anyone heard of this?

    ReplyDelete
  9. GM, where did you hear this rumour? I am very interesting in getting more information from you about the source of this rumour? I have not bee able to find any reports of litigation, at least in California, regarding such a circumstance. You may contact me at calguynsac@yahoo.com Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a Certified Paralegal with a Bachelor’s Degree in the same. So I have a long work record working in the law, a law firm and in corporate law too. Enrolled in Taft Law School as Taft offered me the best online law school, due to my schedule. I have very little to report regarding admissions so far, but to say that it took about one-week to get all the papers in order, completed and submitted. I would like to get my name in the running for future references, as anyone who has questions at the end of my first-year at Taft Law School should contact me. I will be happy to tell all since I had a difficult time find and/or talking to anyone other than employees of the school. Robert D. Email: rgd53@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is it going at TLS?

      Delete
    2. Hi, I begin Taft on July 2, 2012 and am worried I wont have the money to buy all the books before school starts, are there any that you found you didn't use before your financial aid arrived? This would be a big help.

      Thanks.....I can be reached at

      panther6002@live.com


      Thanks in advance for any help......

      Sincerely, don a.

      Delete
  11. Hi Robert. Thank you for your offer to help.

    (**Note** Robert is an unconfirmed resource and is not affiliated with Lawsuit Millionaires. The blog admin cannot validate or endorse any advice given.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I have just received my first year packet for Taft Law School, very excited to start and feel that DL is more suited for me, being that I work 40 hrs + per week, and once I had acheived my bachelors I found out that I do better in DL classes than brick and mortor. Wish me luck, and hope to be in contact with the rest of the new students at Taft.

    ReplyDelete